A changing church…

The offering plate…  though most profess to tithe the standard 10 percent of their income to the church, the actual average percentage of income given to the church in the last two years was only 2.43 percent.  This number has declined over the last 40 years, with the highest amount being only 3.11 percent in 1968 (Christianity Today, February 2011)

Church dropouts…  some 20 percent of students who stopped attending church after high school say they had planned to no longer attend weekly services once they were in college.  The other 80 percent of those who “dropped out” of church after high school say they made no premeditated decision to do so, but rather, slowly drifted out of the church. (Lifeway Research)

Keeping up with population changes…  In 1820 there was one church for every 875 people in the United States.  By World War I the ratio had dropped  to one church for every 430 people.  Today, there is only one church for every 6,194 people.  In Canada the ratio is 1 church to every 123,971 people.  The population of North America is 345 million, and at least 259 million do not have a relationship with Jesus Christ. (U.S. Census Bureau, Lifeway Christian Resources, Statistics Canada and Canadian National Baptist Convention)

A changing world…

We all know our world is changing, but do you realize how quickly these changes are taking place?

  • The world’s population will reach 7 billion before the end of 2011 (United Nations)
  • Since 1960 the U.S. population has increased by 72% (National Geographic)
  • Racial and ethnic minorities accounted for 83% of U.S. population growth from 2000 to 2008, and these minorities will become the majority by 2042 (Brookings Institute)
  • The Muslim population in the U.S. will more than double to reach an anticipated 6.2 million in the coming years. (Pew Research, January 27, 2011)